October 18, 2021 – BOARD MINUTES
Society of St Vincent de Paul Council of Seattle/King County
To be approved at the November 22, 2021 – Board meeting
Mary Jo Shannon, (President); Sandra McGowan, (Vice President); Dave Cullen, (Treasurer); Adelfa Moreno, (Secretary); Jim Jordan (E King); Mary Sweeney, (SW Seattle); Manuel Figueroa, (S King); Mary Kay Snedden, (NE Seattle); Harry Oestreich, (NE King); Ed Sarasaud (at large member); Father Bob Grimm and Tricia Whitman – Todd (Spiritual Advisors).
* The board welcomed Paul Litwin as our new NW Seattle precinct chair and Mary Beth Sheean as our new at large member. *
NON-VOTING STAFF AND GUESTS:
Mirya Munoz-Roach, Executive Director; Mike Ewanciw, CFO and Ned Delmore, Senior Advisor.
After an opening prayer, the meeting was called to order at 6:30pm. A motion was made to approve the draft of the September 2021 minutes. The motion was seconded by Mary Sweeny. The motion then passed unanimously.
Finance: Dave Cullen reported that SVdP has begun the fiscal year with a deficit of half a million dollars. Moreover, the society continues to have a strong cash position with $5.7 million in the bank and $4 million in reserves.
Mirya announced that SVdP is investing in reorganizing the helpline.
Dave Cullen made a motion that the board approve the October 1, 2021- September 30, 2022 budget and present it to the council on October 23, 2021. Sandra seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
W-9s: Dave Cullen announced that Vincentians need to collect W-9s when paying rent to non-corporate landlords. There is a subcommittee that is currently working on adapting the database to gather the necessary information for the council to produce 1099s and report to the IRS.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR’S REPORT:
Aurora: Mirya reported that she has been in contact with Aurora Commons. This organization provides a day shelter to homeless individuals. Their work aligns with SVdPs mission. Aurora Commons is coming for a second tour of the property and is capable of paying the mortgage. The intended use of the property would be a day shelter.
Cornerstone Conference: This is a Catholic conference. SVdP is an event sponsor. This event is scheduled to take place on October 23, 2021 via Zoom. All Vincentians are welcome to attend.
EPRAP -25% Communication to Conferences: SVdP was awarded $2.5 million by King County to assist with the Eviction Prevention Rent Assistance Lottery Program. Of those $2.5 million, SVdP requested to manage 25% ($600,000) for neighbors outside of the lottery. A communication regarding this fund will be sent to all Vincentians, and details will be presented both at the October Learn at Lunch and at the October 23rd council meeting.
Ned and Mirya announced that they been engaged in listening to conferences that are facing challenges. A special visit is being made to address the conferences particular needs.
Mirya reported that St. Philomena continues to be a virtual conference. Six individuals from the Latino community have expressed interest in coming together and starting a conference at this parish. More to come on the possible development of a conference at this parish.
RV Project: Mary Sweeny announced that she is looking for someone to take over administrative tasks. If there are any Vincentians that are interested in taking this on, please have them contact Mary. In addition, this group is looking for additional volunteers.
South King/South Seattle Pilot and Conference Support/Adequate Funding – Mary Jo reported that the South King/South Seattle is over. However, the adequate and conference support fund have been merged. $200,000 have been budgeted for the fiscal year. If a conference is in need of excess funds, please complete a request form. A subcommittee of the board will review applications and make recommendations for financial support. The link for this application will be available on the member website.
Note: The availability of financial support from the council is not to discourage fundraising at the Vincentian level.
Bylaws: Mary Jo and Dave Cullen are working on reviewing the bylaws with regard to the make-up of the precincts and the requirements to become precinct chair. They will provide a report at the January council meeting.
Dennis (Central Seattle): The chair of this precinct is in the process of scheduling a precinct meeting in November. In addition, he is connecting with his presidents.
Mary Kay (NE Seattle): Reported that Presidents in her precinct have re-enlisted for those who were termed. Mary will provide a more detailed report at the next board meeting as her precinct meeting is coming up soon.
Jim (E King): This precinct did not meet for their quarterly meeting as some Vincentians were ill. Jim had a discussion with colleen from Sacred Heart in Bellevue regarding a neighbor. St. Monica is struggling to get new members. Jim hosted a pulpit pitch at Our Lady of Sorrows and St. Anthony. Five people expressed interest. Conferences in this precinct are doing well financially. Jim shared The World We Live In. We are privileged and luckier than most.
Manuel (S King): Reported that St. Thomas conference is in need of additional volunteers. Moreover, he will be hosting his first precinct meeting on October 27th at 7 pm via Zoom. Manuel will provide a report of the findings of this meeting.
Mary Sweeny (SW Seattle): Mary reported that St. Peter’s is struggling. St. John of Vashon is people and money twinning with St. Paul’s conference. Mary expressed that there are other conferences in her precinct that would benefit from twinning.
Paul (NW Seattle): This precinct has one new President. The chairperson also expressed interested in twinning with a conference in need.
Harry (NE King): Harry reported that his precinct is in the process of reorganizing. Moreover, that conferences are doing well and are back to providing assistance with other needs aside from rent. Harry is currently working on getting affiliated with St. Judge, to get assistance for clothing for toddlers from East Side Baby in Issaquah. Lastly, this precinct has two new presidents.
Council Meeting Agenda Discussion:
The discussion question for the council will be centered around the EPRAP-25%.
The meeting closed at 8:30pm with a prayer.
NEXT MEETING: November 22, 2021, via Zoom; 5:30pm (Finance meeting); 6:30pm (Board meeting)
Respectfully submitted: Adelfa Moreno | Board Secretary